27 May 2007

The Gratuitous Graduation Post: Poughkeepsie's Always Proud



I'll try and make this brief. As of today I am a college graduate. I spent four pivotal years in Poughkeepsie, New York studying and procrastinating my life away at the lovely bastion of liberal academia that is Vassar College. Essentially there is absolutely nothing noteworthy about the city of Poughkeepsie. It's just a typical blue collar town, slightly economically depressed, yet still contains a surprising amount of decent sushi restaurants nonetheless.

However -and here's the why this post is relevant to all of you- not one, BUT two songs explicitly reference the city I no longer call home.

Poughkeepsie - Devendra Banhart

By the banks of ol' Poughkeepsie my love swam to me...

A word of note to listeners: I really wouldn't advise swimming in the Hudson River the way Devendra espouses.

Poughkeepsie's Always Proud - Soltero

You keep me like a cold, Poughkeepsie's getting old...


Tim Howard, aka Soltero is probably the best singer-songwriter you still haven't heard. Acerbic yet endearing, Howard does a remarkable job describing small town ennui buoyed by some damn jangly acoustic strumming. I can relate on a disturbingly literal level.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Also in Something Corporate's "I Woke Up In A Car": Caught a train to Poughkeepsie/And time stood still

I've always wanted to know where it was!

June said...

Apparently it's here:
http://www.idcide.com/i/mc2/ny/poughkeepsie.gif

Jess said...

meg: cool, i haven't heard that song, but now would like to!