24 June 2007

Songs for Summer: Pt. 2 - Sun Worshipper

The Sun!


They Might Be Giants - Why Does the Sun Shine (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas).mp3
A fifth-grade science report in a song! Every basic fact you wanted to know about the sun is covered in this song. Listen and Learn! Get this on Severe Tire Damage.

Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun.mp3
For all you My So-Called Life fans, whenever I hear this song I always think of that scene where Angela wakes up one day and realizes she's over Jordan, and she dances around her bedroom to this song accordingly. From 1983's revolutionary self-titled album.

The 5th Dimension - Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In.mp3
LOL hippies.

Belle & Sebastian - Here Comes the Sun (live Beatles cover).mp3
Yes, you read that right! I know I might get rotten fruits thrown at me for saying this, but... I like it better than the original. *ducks*

Jeff Buckley - All Flowers in Time Bend Towards the Sun (live).mp3
This is NOT the previously-posted version with Elizabeth Fraiser; this version is Jeff's acoustic solo.

Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine.mp3
Sure, it's a little cheesy (I'm almost sure I've heard it used in a commercial before). But still undeniably happy and upbeat. Found on their Greatest Hits album.

The Toms - Sun.mp3
I love it when I plunder iTunes and am all "WTF... I have never heard of this band before. What is it doing on my hard drive? Ah well, it's pretty good!" Found on a compilation album called Yellow Pills: Prefill.

The Vines - Sunshinin'.mp3
Something we need around here. from 2004's Highly Evolved.

The Doors - Waiting for the Sun.mp3
Just like me... From the album by the same title.

For your 90's throwback fix:
Len - Steal My Sunshine.mp3
Smash Mouth - Walking on the Sun.mp3

And of course, since no post here is really complete without our favorite indie wunderkid...
Sufjan Stevens - A Sun Came.mp3
From his debut album by the same name. Sadly overlooked. It's a multifaceted, sprawling introduction where he's just finding his voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i won't throw any rotten fruits at you... B&S know their way around a cover.
(oh, and "Waiting for the Sun" is actually on "The Soft Parade".)