16 October 2009

Top 5 At The Moment: songs for Bill pt. I


Myself (and Miss Kitty), Adam, Bill, Susan


Today I fly to the Tri-Cities in eastern Washington for my father-in-law's funeral. Bill, or as I called him, "Pa," was like a second dad to me. My husband and I are greiving, and music helps. I'm listening to a mix of pop, indie and jazz:

For complete distraction/denial:
Shakira - She Wolf.m4a from the She Wolf Single
I've been inexplicably drawn to Shakira's weird, almost cheesy anthem for furries. The howling really wasn't necessary, but the beat is solid, and the video is sexy.

Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It).m4a from I Am...Sasha Fierce
Admittedly, I had never heard this song before until it was on Glee a few weeks ago. Hilarious in that context, but nonetheless catchy.

For reflection:
The Follen Angels - Is That All There Is?.mp3 from Jazz Divas: The Songs of Ella, Peggy & Billie
One of the greatest jazz songs written for a woman, it humorously examines existential ennui. Catch the lyrics once and you'll sing along forever.


For sadness:
Don Henley - Everybody Knows.mp3 from Tower Of Song: The Songs Of Leonard Cohen
My father-in-law passed away yesterday. He was 62 and it was sudden and unexpected. My husband is flying home now and in a few days I'll join for the memorial service. He said that this song had been in his head since it happened, so I'm honoring it here. This is a much more interesting cover of the original Leonard Cohen song. The whole album is fantastic and is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you buy it.
Everybody's got that sinking feeling, like their father or their dog just died.

Sarah McLachlan - Angel.m4a from Surfacing
This song has gotten me through so many deaths, played on repeat for hours. That's all I have to say about it.

1 comment:

jay said...

Sorry for you loss, June. Glad the music is helping you through.
Jay