18 October 2009

Songs for Bill, pt. 2

If there's one thing I've learned most this year, or even this decade, it's the importance of family. How it can be heartbreaking to be estranged from someone, how difficult it is to reconnect, and how fortunate you can be if you've always been close.

I've been so lucky to have a second dad like Bill. He took me in when I was homeless and helped support the wedding to my husband that he ultimately couldn't even attend. Through it all, he loved and accepted me, and I couldn't have asked for a better, kinder, funnier and more loving father-in-law.

So here's a newsflash: funerals are difficult. How am I dealing(besides Klonopin)? Yep, music. Here's seven favorites friom his music collection:

Roy Orbison - Blue Bayou.mp3 from Black & White Night
I have fond memories of watching Roy Orbison Black & White Night in concert with him. Truly, a family night of music and celebration.

Willie Nelson - A Horse Called Music.mp3 from The Many Sides of Willie Nelson
When he wasn't riding his motorcycle, he was riding high on music. Classics and favorites from his era ruled then and still do today.

Josh Groban - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.mp3 from Josh Groban
This song, performed by the King of Kings Lutheran church choir at his funeral, made me cry buckets. The peacefulness will overcome, though.

Neil Diamond - Forever in Blue Jeans.mp3 from Greatest Hits 1966-1992
In my mind, he will be Forever in Blue Jeans.

Lobo - How Can I Tell Her About You.mp3 from Calumet
Lobo was a favorite band. He got Adam into it; he got me into it. Don't Tell Her Goodnight; just play this tune instead.

Common Thread - Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles cover).mp3 from Songs of the Eagles
He was a huge Eagles fan, so here's a song I hope he lives in now.

Finally, his favorite song, by a favorite band:


Enjoy, and hug your Pa today. <3

No comments: