15 November 2007

Lion, have some Pride!



I'm not a big fan of pimping chains, but I'm living and working out of the Red Lion Hotel in Spokane, Washington this week for my day job (what, you thought we spend 24/7 tying to earn an income by sharing awesome music? We wish).

Usually corporate music channels are an abomination of music, with wretched mixes of "adult contemporary" rotating every two hours--or, worse, Muzak covers of the same (So THIS is where Celine Dion finds her audiences). However, this week I have been delighted with a truly diverse blend of pleasant music, including some choice oldies (The Mamas and the Papas, The Zombies), respectable country (Hank Williams), and even some indie favorites--and not just the one or two songs that crossed over to Top 40 radio.

So here's four songs I heard this week that I never thought I would hear in this sort of setting. Kudos to you, Red Lion people!

Death Cab for Cutie - Crooked Teeth.mp3
Ben Folds Five - Jackson Cannery (1990 solo demo version).mp3
Andrew Bird - Fiery Crash.mp3
Tori Amos - Winter (live).mp3

Thanks to Toothpaste for Dinner for the classic strip.

No comments: