27 August 2009

R.I.P. Ellie Greenwich

As you maybe heard songwriter extraordinaire Ellie Greenwich died yesterday, an untimely death of a heartattack at only 68. Maybe you've never heard of her before, but you've undoubtedly heard her songs. "Be My Baby", "Out in the Streets", "Da Doo Ron Ron" and all those Brill Building girl group gems. But most importantly She helped give a public voice to female desire in an era when nary an outlet existed to express such personal feelings. Even if through a lot of these songs, a girl's sense of self was entirely dependent and defined by being in a heteronormative relationship (a mega-gripe in my book), I think there is still something to be said for making it at least acceptable for a girl to say she wants a guy and to embrace said desire. Besides there was a lot of sexism in the 60s. I know this because I watch Mad Men.

You Don't Know - Ellie Greenwich
Out in the Streets - The Shangri Las
The Train From Kansas City - The Shangri Las

No comments: