21 August 2009

not-so-relevant thoughts of Pitchforks Top-20 songs of the 2000s

Mp3s and some not-so-relevant thoughts on Pitchforks Top-20 songs of the 2000s.

20. The Rat - The Walkmen
For the longest time this was the ONLY song by the Walkmen I actually liked (up until the release of last years You & Me). It's got sass damnit. Bonus points for being the best ringback tone for your ex EVAH. One blast of YOU'VE GOT A NERVE TO BE CALLING MY NUMBER oughta show 'em who's boss.

19. Ignition - R. Kelly
YES YES YES! Mr. Mountain Goats himself, John Darnielle started a list of 100 reasons why this song is so damned great.. And I agree with all 100 of them. From the toot toots to the beep beeps, Ignition shoulda bounce-bounce-bounced its way higher up on the list if you ask me (and JD of course). "It's the freak-in week-end baby I'm about to have me some fun" remains the most joyous exclamation of the decade.

18. Blind - Hercules & Love Affair ft. Antony

My 2nd fave song of last year. Here's what I said then, and still stand by now: "Very few songs move me. Even fewer songs get me to move. It is an extremely rare thing when a song accomplishes both. Antony’s operatic vocals humanize the icy synths and bleating horns into six full minutes of pulsating pathos."

17. Heartbeats - Annie

Sweet song that builds with guileless electro anticipation. The sonic equivalent of a first kiss with a stranger who is probably Scandinavian, still 17 seems a bit high for mere making out.

16. House of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture

Not gonna front, this song mildly scares me. Didn't Rob Zombie direct a movie with this title. Oh he didn't? Well just wait he will. And when he does, there will be cowbell. And dancing corpses from Brooklyn circa 2002.

15. Heartbeats - The Knife
More Scandinavians singing about heartbeats? The Knife must be Annie's older goth sister. Still dig it though.

14. 99 Problems - Jay-z
Have you ever seen a pint size college gal give this song a whirl on karaoke night? Well you really should because it nearly transforms into a mighty feminist anthem. HIT ME!

13. Losing My Edge - LCD Soundsystem
Aging hipster laments, can't wait to see what James Murphy whips up when he's 50.

12. Hey Ya! - Outkast
The most impossible to hate song ever? I sure hope so.

11. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
When this song first hit my iPod, I listened to it literally 43 times in one day (thank god for iTunes play count) And then I never listened to it again. Maybe next year though.

10. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire

Someone once told me they like to paint to this song, which is apt. It is the sound of colors being splashed on a canvas, Jackson Pollack style. TUNNELS! TUNNELS! TUNNELS!

9. My Girls - Animal Collective
It took at least five listens for this song to stick and then once it did, it was like a million light bulbs exploding.

8. Idioteque - - Radiohead
I still don't know how to pronounce this title. Is it idiotic? or Idiot-tech, like a discotheque full of idiots? I'm gonna go with the latter.

7. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliot

Sometimes my mom works out to this song. That's kinda weird right?

6. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Subtle beauty from a band that usually makes noise that is anything but.

5. One More Time - Daft Punk
Someone should play this song on a loop at their wedding. That way there are a lot of one more times, for infinity the fun!

4. Crazy in Love - Beyonce
I like the horns.

3. Paper Planes - M.I.A.
I called this at #1 yesterday. Oh well, I was wrong.

2. All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
The song that convinced me that LCD were actually good. And you know what, they are.

1. B.O.B. - Outkast
Can we get Outkast a spot in national security. They totally predicted the insanity of international relations in the 00s. AND they did it with epic flair.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

So glad to see Ignition get the respect it deserves!
-Kelly

Unknown said...

We did a new remix of Ignition a while ago, you should check it out!

http://www.iloveiou.se/remix-r-kelly-ignition