06 July 2008

i am armed with the past, and the will, and a brick

So, I've found my favourite album of the year. Sure, there year is only just half done. But unless Rufus Wainwright and John Darnielle colaberate on an album feauring Sufjan Stevens, I have found my album of the year. Wanna know what it is?


Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

This album has everything I love in an album. A lead singer with a unique voice. (Kind of like a scottish Connor Oberst with actual vocal skills). Literate lyrics. Emoness but not too much emoness. Clever guitar work. Driving beats. Oh man oh man oh man.

The songs, every damn one, are amazing. They soar and dip and soar even higher. It's mostly just guitar and drums, but these songs are more complex and rich than anything other bassless bands could hope for. And the lyrics pales in comparison to the music. And then the music pales next to the lyrics. And then his voice does something extra Scottish-y and it all pales next to that.

I am just crazy in love with this album. I want everyone to hear it and share the joy. I want to dial random numbers in the phone book and shout 'omg! listen!' and hold the receiver up to the speakers. And I bet they wouldn't hang up, they'd stay on the line for the full 48.2 minutes it took the album to play through.


The Modern Leper

And you are not ill
And I'm not dead.
Doesn't that make us the perfect pair?

Keep Yourself Warm
It takes more than fucking someone
you don't know to keep warm.

BUY

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The album is a cracker, check out there sings the greys debut too. Square Nine is one of there best tracks....

Anonymous said...

Been reading this awesome blog for awhile now. Just wanted to say that I absolutely agree with you. Have a good day!