03 February 2010

Yeah, that's right TRIPLE ALBUM

I'm probably the only one who likes Joanna Newsom but does not love Ys. Sure, it's alright I guess. I mean I dig the harp and even her girly sometimes overly affected vocals. But with the exception of maybe "Emily" I simply didn't enjoy the overly ornate orchestral arrangements and rambling song structures. It was a total 180 from the homespun charm of her debut album The Milk-Eyed Mender and I missed the folksy twang of it all.


BUT hope is not lost. This week Drag City unveiled two new tracks off her highly anticipated TRIPLE(!) album Have One on Me out February 23. And I like them both. One is long. One is short. Yet the production is definitely a return to the old and the melodies are tight. There's even some banjo thrown in for good measure. Check 'em out:

'81 - Joanna Newsom
Good Intentions Paving Company - Joanna Newsom

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you're a Joanna Newsom fan, you should consider pre-ordering Roan Press's book "Visions of Joanna Newsom" http://www.roanpress.com/ourbooks.html

way said...

I'm right there with you. I love Joanna Newsom, but "Ys" just never impacted me the same way. Though, I saw Newsom at Mercy Lounge in Nashville right after Ys came out and she played the album start to finish and it was amazing.

I really like these 2 new tracks. I'm curious what the album will be like as a cohesive whole.