19 April 2009

Don't sell my stuff on ebay 'cause I might be back

So, hey, wait a minute, I just realized that I never got around to telling ya'll about one of the best albums I have heard in a very long time. One of those albums that has something new for you every time you listen, one of those albums where every song song requires no effort to full in love with. An album with, get this, awesome lyrics (I'm talking Darnielle level awesome here people), interesting vocals and a wide range of instruments including some truly inspiring strings. I honestly can't beleive I never blogged about it before. Seriosly, self, what's up with that?

Cloud Cult : Feel Good Ghosts (tea partying through tornoadoes)

I can't overstate how good Craig Minowa's lyrics are. Skillfully handled ruminations on life and death and religion which sounds heavy, yes? And when you consider that prior to this albums release Minowa's young son passed away, you might definitely be expecting something amazing, but ultimatly hard to listen to. But this is not the case at all. If I had to describe the tone of this album in one word it would be uplifting. Yes, the sadness is there. All the confusion and anger that accompanies death. But there is hope. There is... Ok, have you listened to Abbey Road in order before? You know the bit where the wailing end of the world holy shit make it stop cacophany that is 'I Want You (She's So Heavy) cuts of suddenly and 'Here Comes The Sun' begins? Listening to Feel Good Ghosts makes me feel the same way I feel when 'Here Comes Th Sun' Starts. My chest eases, I smile, my mind becomes a brighter place. The darkness isn't forgotten, no, but it's in the past. This is a moving on album. It's not about forgetting, or burying the pain of what has happened, it's about finding a way to carry on.

It's just one of those perfect albums that come around so rarely in life, and you'd be a fool to let it pass you by.

The Story of the Grandson of Jesus
and it's ok if this world has a billion saviors 'cause there's so many things to be saved...

Journey of the Featherless
My favourite words were the ones I couldn't spell...

No comments: